Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ted Talks: Spore

There is one video game that I just cannot wait to come out. I have been subscribed to the newsletter for months, and first started watching the development of this game since last December. Even hearing the word sends shivers of geekness up my spine. Spore.

The game Spore is spearheaded by the mastermind behind SimCity, the Sims, and many other Maxis simulation games, Will Wright. His games have always been about allowing the player to create the world, instead of merely playing through it. This gives games unlimited replay value, and since the player created the city, or house and family, they are much more attached to their creation. With Spore Wright is going to allow the player to create not only a house, or a city, or a family, but a civilization. Spore allows the player to shape their own form of life starting with a single celled organism, and ending up as the ruler of the planet. You gain control of not only the species you are guiding, but the cities, vehicles, buildings that are in the city, the plants on the planet, even the planet itself. And then you get to explore countless planets full of other peoples creations, interacting how you will, Terriforming inhospitable planets, colonizing hospitable ones, trading with other sentient life, or conquering them.

Will Wrights Ted talk is based on how his game can be used to help show teach term dynamics, as well as amplify creativity.

As for the schools killing creativity, I say we make all biology classes have to beat the game spore, thus teaching about evolution, showing the possible effects of global warming (you can overheat a planet in Spore, causing it to become a ball of lava) and re-igniting creativity. Two birds, one stone.

4 comments:

Megan H said...

I love the Sims! I don't play them much anymore due to lack of time buy years ago I use to play all the time. I didn't chose to listen to that talk because I thought it would be more like a boys video game, guess thats why they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Did Wright happen to say when it would be out in stores or do you know? Sounds interesting.

Tracie said...

I don't know much about video games, but I did watch most of the Spore video, I have to say that after viewing the video I for some reason feel compelled to try it out. I had no idea that some of the video games contained so much information, educational, fun , and over all a learning experience. I know that doesn't apply to all video games, but am aware now that there are games like this available.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of that video game but you made is sound really interesting. My son is in this "I hate school phase" and maybe with some learning tools like this one he would take more of an interest.

Thomas Sindle said...

As for the release date, I keep reading about 2008 spring. No offical release date, but that is a good thing, many a promising game have been released to early before they were quite done.